The North Star

A Medley of Melodies; Exploring Divergence in the LNHS Choir

Kaden Ofstad, Staff Writer

Each school year, the LNHS choir department puts on four concerts, all displaying different themes from one another. Recently, at the spring concert, each of the choirs showcased traditional choral pieces. During this concert, the LNHS Choir Department was given the opportunity to work alongside a student teacher from St. Olaf College, Andrew Atwood, who shared some of his thoughts on variance in music.

“Diversity in choral literature is at the heart of a complete music education,” said Atwood. “There is so much more to learn about music and more to feel through singing a piece of music than the music of one culture allows you to know.”

Many choral directors agree with the fact that music has no rules to follow. It doesn’t operate under limitation, it doesn’t conform, nor does it flourish in regulation. No matter what rule can be applied to music, it can always be broken, in a musician’s eyes. In fact, some people believe they were meant to be broken. Music holds a vast spectrum of diverse genres, and Lakeville North High School emphasizes this diversity through the selection of choral pieces for the choir.

Atwood, alongside many others in the music industry, believe that variation in music is imperative. Not only is the Lakeville North choir acknowledging other genres in doing so, but they also celebrate these genres to keep them alive and vivid.

“Each and every choir has a different tone and interpretation of the pieces they perform which makes the performances unique and special,” said junior choir student Abby Pickett. “By doing this, we create a feeling that is different for every single audience member, making the performances enjoyable for everyone.”

In conversation with the Lakeville North Choir Department, many amongst them agree that music has enigmatic ways of bringing people together; by singing, dancing, living through the harmonies that songs create to bring their listeners together. Instead of putting differences aside, the choir chooses to embrace them through music, and surely enough, they’ll continue to do this for many years to come.

“The human experience that is expressed through music and art in general is something that transcends culture,” Atwood explains. “Introducing young musicians to works of musicians who have different experiences than their own helps them to have more compassion and acceptance for others.”