The North Star

New student voices group seeks to unite the student body

Ivana Truong, Staff member

This year, LNHS saw the introduction of a student-led leadership club, known as the Student Voice Committee, which was organized by staff like Jennifer Baese, Mike Joswiak, Nancie Einess  and Holly Standke. The group has been meeting since September, and is still in a brainstorming stage.

However, the broadest goal of the committee is clear. In an earlier meeting, members were asked personal negative experiences at Lakeville North.

“That [it] was eye-opening. Because I think that a lot of teachers don’t have much of a clue about what you guys hear and experience,” said Baese.

The Voice Committee will hope to bridge that gap by allowing students to communicate problems and implement solutions with staff and administration as well as promote inclusivity among students. Members are working side by side…setting an example for what we wish to see at North, said Junior Anna Puhek

Staff particularly emphasize the student-led aspect, “The structure is really student-driven, it’s beautiful,” said Joswiak and that “since students know what occur in classrooms, passing time, and on the weekends, we can work together to address the day to day issues more fully,” said Anna Puhek.

The group of about 50 students will form smaller committees, nine currently, each in charge of individual issues that the students themselves care about. These groups will be “nine different  ways to get [the committee’s] message out there”, said Joswiak.

The hope is that these small committees can address the issues that students are personally passionate about and solve problems actually faced by students. Students who represent a lot of different groups: every culture, every race, every religion, every gender are included said Baese.  

The committee believes that this diversity will mean the issues of the student body as a whole can be addressed.To further efforts of inclusivity,  membership is still open. By contacting any of the organizers, students can still join.

Mrs. Baese states, “One of the most important things is that it is evolving. That we, the teachers who started it, didn’t exactly have preconceived notions of what it might be…that we as the advisors will try to sit back and try to facilitate [student] goals”

The advisors of this project anticipate a variety of obstacles, from funding to mindsets. In response, “We will baby step this, we will chip away at this stuff. Just saying “Ugh, it’s so racist here. People are so intolerant. Can’t be a reason that we don’t try,” said Baese.