The student news site of Lakeville North High School

The North Star

Why are so many giving the cold shoulder?

Photo+from+American+Eagle+on+ae.com+
Photo from American Eagle on ae.com

Photo from American Eagle on ae.com

Photo from American Eagle on ae.com

Katie Harff, Editor-in-Chief

It may be the end of the school year and everyone is anxious to get out, but why is everyone giving such a cold shoulder?

It’s not the cold shoulder you get from your mom when you stay out past curfew; rather, it’s a new fashion trend that seems to be everywhere.  You may think you have no idea what I’m talking about, but you probably have seen the trend before.

The “cold shoulder” trend is nothing more than the plethora of shirts being sold that have a strap, a cutout in the shoulder and then the continuation of the sleeve.

Many students grew up being told their shoulders needed to be covered and if they dared to wear a tank top in middle school, it was necessary the strap was at least three fingers wide.  Now that the cold shoulder shirts have become popular, it seems talk about shoulders has died down.

I suppose they are accepted because the shirt continues after the cut out, but it’s funny how opinions on what is right or wrong in terms of fashion changes with the trends.  Shoulders are now acceptable just because the cold shoulder trend turned into something a large amount of people are wearing.

Don’t get me wrong, I partake in this trend myself, but I never had a problem with showing my shoulders before and never understood why other people took issue with it.

Thankfully this trend has swept the nation and become as common thing so women can show their shoulders if they want.  It’ll be interesting to see what fashion statement becomes a trend and normalizes itself next.