The student news site of Lakeville North High School

The North Star

Another Stats Olympics creating another success

Bailey Servais, Staff writer

The center section of the commons on Friday during second hour was bustling with students of all grades coming together to participate in the annual Stats Olympics. While it’s not an actual competition, the students enrolled in AP Statistics conduct experiments to test their hypotheses.

The experiments range from testing the difference between girls’ and boys’ jump height, to seeing if girls could identify the difference between normal and reduced fat Oreos better than boys.

The stats students have been preparing for their experiments in the week following the AP test in early May.

“It’s been a little stressful, but it’s fun now,” said senior Anna Tetrault.

In terms of AP statistics as a class, the group work has enhanced the learning experience.

The stats olympics are “extremely interactive and actually applicable” to what we’ve learned, senior Logan Alger said.

This year has been particularly creative, AP statistics teacher Molly Thorson said.

One station tested whether boys or girls are better at pinning the tail on the Nemo, a poster purchased from Party City.

After AP testing, several teachers often play movies in class. It can be relaxing, but when a student takes several AP classes, it can make the school days seem monotonous. The stats olympics, however, provides students with a fun project to look forward to and work towards possibly boosting their final grade.

“Stats olympics is way better than watching movies. It’s actually cool to apply what you’ve learned,” Junior Jessica Hoover said.

Even seniors who want nothing to do with their last weeks of school enjoy it.

“I would much rather be doing this and see other groups creativity than just watching movies,” senior Tricia Gigstad said.  “It’s appropriate for after the AP test. I even listened to the Olympic fanfare.”

The stats olympics provides students a way to apply what they’ve collectively learned throughout the school year, while also allowing a level of creativity rarely associated with an advanced placement math class.

“I look forward to [the stats olympics] every year,” Thorson said. “It’s a great way to advertise the class.”