The student news site of Lakeville North High School

The North Star

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is an enjoyable ride for fans of series

The cast of

The cast of "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" fandango.com

Zach Lomenda, Staff Writer

When it comes down to making a great comic book film, Marvel Studios is very consistent with releasing great, fun movies. “Guardians of the Galaxy”, released in 2014, introduced a breath of fresh air to the superhero film genre, putting forth a newly found sense of fun, heart, and entertainment into the plethora of comic-based movies.

The question with every sequel, however, is whether or not it can live up to the quality of the original. With the release of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2”, that answer is a resounding yes. This sequel takes everything loved about the original and doubles it while also giving the beloved characters more depth and complexity than in the previous installment.

The film’s main focus is on the relationship between Peter Quill, played by actor Chris Pratt, and his father, played by actor Kurt Russell. This plot line, teased at the end of the first film, focuses a lot on the idea of the expectation that Chris Pratt’s character has of his father, and whether or not those expectations play out in reality.

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” proves to be surprisingly emotional, including complex themes of redemption, revenge, and the concept of expectations vs reality. Every theme is used to serve the characters and further heighten their stories, proving once more that director James Gunn really understands and cares about these crazy and outlandish characters.

Getting away from the plot and character aspects of the film, one thing that has to be mentioned when talking about Vol. 2 are the songs included within the soundtrack. After all, songs of the 70’s and 80’s are staples in the Guardians franchise. The music might as well be its own character, as it is a huge part of what makes these movies unique from other Marvel properties. Straying away from the famous one-hit wonders used in the first film, director James Gunn instead goes for a calmer and emotionally deeper soundtrack for this newest installment. Each song choice feels unique and compliments the given scene in which it is included in.

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” is a movie worth the full price, and a must see for any Lakeville North student. Vol. 2 is a consistently funny, action-packed, entertaining thrill ride that is full of heart. Whether you are looking for a great film, or even to simply have a fun time at the theater, “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” is a great piece of entertainment for anyone.