The North Star

Lakeville soccer community gives back to beloved coach, Seamus Tritchler

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seamus Tritchler coaches captain Olaf Morkeberg at halftime.

http://www.ourhouse-north.com

http://www.ourhouse-north.com

http://www.ourhouse-north.com

Adam Tremblay, Sports Editor

Odds are if you’ve played or worked for Lakeville soccer you know who Seamus Tritchler is. A man who’s had an unimaginable impact on the soccer community in Lakeville. A man who has made connections with so many players and kids. A man who people call not just a coach, but a friend. And a man who learned he had cancer, and decided to fight it.

As a coach, the man that everybody knows as Seamus, described himself as strict, organized and disciplined. However, the kids he coaches have a mutual respect for him and he believes that is what makes him so popular with the kids.

“I love to see the improvements in players,” Trichler said.

And he saw so many players improve during his time at Lakeville Soccer Club, where he started coaching at in 2008. His work at LSC is what led him to taking the job as an assistant coach at Lakeville North because he already knew a lot of the players and coaches. When he came to coach at North he brought with him his tactical knowledge and passion for the game.

Parent Chad Amborn, who has known and coached with Trichler for 10 years, described him by saying that “his passion, his experience, his knowledge, is what makes him special.”

Tritchler said that he has risen technically over the years and it has turned him into a more well-rounded coach. Although, the technical side of coaching is important, the emotional and individual side is also an emphasis from Tritchler.

“It’s very very important to me that the players feel good about themselves,” Tritchler said. “They’re going to get better not just as a player, but as an individual.”

No single person has had a bigger impact on the Lakeville Soccer community than Tritchler, At least according to people like varsity coach Peter Tyma and captain Olaf Morkeberg.

“He’s had an incredible affect on the community,” Morkeberg said. “He is probably one of the biggest influences in Lakeville Soccer history.”

Tyma also says that the effect Tritchler has had can’t even be put into words. “He’s one of those figureheads for Lakeville soccer,” says Tyma.

Amborn believes that what makes Tritchler so popular in the community is how kind he is and how much he cares about each kid. He tries to know each kid individually and by doing this he believes that he can be a better coach to them.

Tritchler coaches his team during a practice

http://www.ourhouse-north.com

One example of this is Chad’s son Zach, who is a senior this year and has known Tritchler since he was a kid. Zach grew up being coached by Tritchler and received private lessons from him. Amborn says that Tritchler has had a huge impact on not only Zach as a player, but as a person.

The fact that so many people in this community love him is what made the next part so hard for them. Tritchler had been diagnosed with cancer over the weekend of September 9th and 10th, while the team was in Wisconsin for a tournament.

When the growth on his neck first appeared before the season even started, Tritchler said he thought it was an ear infection that had gotten out of hand, but he really started to think it was more when his friend that is a doctor, Mark Nielsen, told him that it could be more than that.

Everyone’s first reaction was a little different. Amborn described his reaction as shocked and saddened, but Tritchler’s reaction was different.

Tritchler said he always thought of himself as a “tough nut”;however, his first reaction was scared for a day or two until he woke up and said,” what do we have to do to attack it.”

And he did attack it. Only weeks later he want into surgery to remove the tumor. It was a 15 hour surgery and he was told he would be in the hospital for 9-12 days, but he got out in 8.

“(The recovery) keeps going on,” he said. “But I’m doing much better.”

Tritchler is usually known for his positive attitude when coaching, but during his surgery and his recovery he has taken that attitude off the field and applied it to his life. Many would just be sad or devastated if they received the news that Tritchler did, but he made the choice to attack it and it led him to be back on the field coaching for the boys varsity section tournament.

“It stirs some emotions that weren’t there before,” Tyma said about the effect that his cancer had on the team. However, it gave the boys something to play for and they took that emotion onto the pitch and continued their winning ways despite the absence of their assistant coach.

“When you see someone who means so much to everyone and he’s struggling and not at his top health, when you play for him it adds another dimension to the game,” Morkeberg said.

The support has come from much more than just the high school, he has seen overwhelming support from all over Lakeville and from players he has coached in the past. People in the community started a Caring Bridge for Tritchler so he could reach out during his recovery and people could keep tabs on how he is doing.

“There has been so much support from Lakeville,” Tritchler said. “It has been absolutely incredible.”

The support from the community can be explained by how much Tritchler had affected them in the past.

“Just from what Seamus has given the community, I believe that the community just wants to give back,” Amborn said. And the community has given back by showing an abundance of support and even donating to his GoFundMe to raise money for him.

“The people in that town,” Tritchler said. “I just love everybody there and I always will.”