SAGE Week at LNHS

Courtesy of Telegraph

John Jara, Editor

Credit to Coppell Student Media
Courtesy of Coppell Student Media

The LNHS SAGE (Straights and Gays for Equality) Club is hosting a “SAGE Week” from Monday, May 2nd, to Friday, May 6th, in order to bring awareness to and advocate for LGBTQ Equality/anti-discrimination at LNHS, in our community, throughout the nation, and around the world as they have done in years past. A few of the issues that will be highlighted are the Equality Act (anti-workplace discrimination based on gender/sexual orientation), the rights of transgender individuals in sports as identified by the Minnesota State High School League, transgender rights, youth LGBT suicide and discrimination statistics, the SAFE Schools Act, LNHS’s anti-bullying pledge, acceptance in the community, and more. Look for informational posters in classrooms and ask any SAGE member to learn more information about current issues.

In addition to hosting informational activities and LGBT Trivia at lunch, the SAGE club is also organizing a fundraiser for the “Outfront Minnesota” Organization, an organization that “delivers programs and services to Minnesota’s LGBTQ and allied communities in areas of anti-violence, community awareness, public policy, law, education, and training” by selling raffle tickets, T-shirts, Bracelets, and “Good Vibes Day” Messages during lunch and at passing time.

Courtesy of Telegraph
Courtesy of Telegraph

Monday: LGBT Trivia and Fundraiser at Lunch

Tuesday: LGBT Trivia and Fundraiser at Lunch

Wednesday: Good Vibes Day: Be friendly, give a few compliments, and buy a “Good Vibes” message from a SAGE member or at lunch to send to a teacher or friend with candy.

Thursday: National Day of Silence – See a SAGE member to take the pledge to be silent in recognition of LGBT discrimination.

-only during passing time unless given approval by teachers beforehand

Friday: Rainbow Day. Students will dress in all colors of the rainbow to show support for the LGBT community – SAGE members will pass out colored ribbons at the entrance. The movie, “Milk,” will be shown in room 212 after school – snacks will be provided and SAGE invites every student to come.