Clubs of North: What can you get involved In?

Mariah Glinski, Contributer

Mountain Biking

The LNHS Mountain Biking team was started in 2012, and just finished their 3rd season with a successful state meet.  Mountain biking is a great opportunity for anyone who wants to join a team or stay in shape.  Not only is it a fun and exciting activity, but it’s a great way to cross-train for another sport.  This year, there were five people on the Lakeville North team, but practices are held with the Lakeville South and the Burnsville teams.  During a regular practice, the team meets somewhere and everyone goes riding together or in groups.

The Mountain Biking team is part of the National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA), and they participate in all of the Minnesota High School Cycling League Races (Division Two).  Race days are always fun for the team.  Junior Nicole Jensen recalls “The races days are really exciting!  You get to spend the day racing and cheering on your teammates with an awards ceremony at the end!”.  It is an individual sport, but the team is also scored so it is a great way to meet new people.  In addition to the Minnesota High School League races, the team also participates in the Thursday races at Buck Hill during the summer.

The Mountain Biking team is looking for new members of all abilities to join their team next year. You don’t even need to have a bike!  Mountain biking is a great way to stay in shape, and have some fun racing.  The season will begin in July and ends in October.  Anyone interested can talk to the Lakeville North Coach, Mr. Tuma.

NICA includes leagues from all over the country. You can check out their website:

http://www.nationalmtb.org (NICA WEBSITE)

http://www.nationalmtb.org/nica-leagues/ (NICA LEAGUES)

http://www.minnesotamtb.org (MN LEAGUE)

via Nicole Jensen

SAGE

SAGE or straights and gays for equality was started about five ago to promote equality for all.  SAGE is very active in the school as well as the community by donating to and volunteering for many LGBTQ organizations as well as leading Equality week here at North.  The club works with a charity called Outfront Minnesota, and has recently made a donation to a charity called The Trevor Project.  The Trevor Project is “the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) young people ages 13-24” (via thetrevorproject.org).

There are about twenty people in SAGE.  The group is very diverse personality-wise but very open-minded and really care about reaching equality for all.  Although the name only explicitly states “straights and gays”, people of all sexualitys and beliefs are welcome to come with an open mind.   When asked about the students in SAGE, senior, and SAGE Treasurer Lauren Nguyen says “ We’re really open and understanding about everything. We try not to focus on the negatives, rather channelling our energy towards the positive aspects in the quest to equality. Plus, it’s a ton of fun. I’ve made so many friends as a result of it, and you get to meet people who you may not have had the chance to otherwise. I look forward to every meeting!”.  SAGE meets every monday after school to discuss recent events in the LGBTQ community as well as plan for upcoming awareness events.  Everyone and anyone is welcome to come to a meeting and see for themselves what SAGE is all about!

via Lauren Nguyen

Men’s ensemble

The LNHS Men’s Ensemble was started this year by choir director, Ms. Casperson.  It was started to give boys an opportunity to sing outside of class and improve their vocal abilities.  There are members of all ages, and they learn extra music to perform and the Lakeville North Choir concerts.  The club also gives freshman boys that are new to the club get a chance to meet some upperclassmen and familiarize themselves with the choir program her at North.

The boys meet after school every Tuesday to learn music and work on their songs.  Right now, the boys are working on music for the Holiday Concert here at North.  Some of the songs they have been working on include Grandma Got Ran Over By a Reindeer, and Little Saint Nick.

The LNHS Men’s Ensemble welcomes any boys that would like to sing outside of class.  Any boys who are interested in joining should contact Ms. Casperson.

Via Connor Glinski

Other Clubs:

Baking Club

HOSA

SADD

French Club

Spanish Club

KEY Club

SLA

Learn more about these clubs and more at lnhspanthers.com